1. Find ways to cut your expenses. I helped a friend with hers this weekend and between mowing her own lawn and cutting cable, we saved her an extra $200 a month that can now be doubled into her employer retirement plan.
2. Go to HR at work and tell them that you want to sign up or the 401k plan or whatever it is that your company has. Tell them you want to start off with just $50 per week or the equivalent depending upon how you got paid.
3. Take all of your insurance to a new agent and see if they can save you money. For most people you can save least a few hundred a year doing this.
4. Go to the Books tab at the top of this website and read at least one book a month from the list.
5. Cancel your gym membership that you signed up for last January. You know you're not using it so save the money and go for a walk every day for 30 minutes. It's free and you'll have plenty of time now that you don't have cable.