Here's 9 (possibly 11) ways for you to save money depending upon your lifestyle.
- Drive an old car or bike to work. One of the biggest expenses for your car is depreciation, not gas. You just don't notice it because it's not posted on a sign everywhere you go. $1000
- Cook at home. Buy items in bulk that stay for long periods of time, such as rice, oats, pastas. If you don't eat these things, no worries. It just means that you're going to have to ride your bike to the store more often. $600
- Cancel your cable, but keep your internet. Your internet will take up plenty of time on it's own, plus lower your internet usage on your phone, thus lowering your phone bill. $600
- Take care of your own home. Fire the maid, cut your own lawn, and do your own maintenance repairs. $1200
- Exercise as entertainment. Go for walks, ride your bike, run through the local park. Exercise is free just ask our ancient relatives. Cancel the gym membership. $300
- Teach your children to be frugal. When TV is gone they'll quit asking for meaningless crap as much. Take this time to institute a child 401k plan and to also teach them about chores for money. $240
- Downsize your home. See previous post. $2400
- Make your own coffee. $624
- Ask yourself, 'Do I really need this?'. $1200
- Quit smoking! In addition to saving money on cigarettes it'll also save you another $250 a year on health insurance, since Obamacare takes effect in 2 months. $2000
- Do not get drinks when you eat out (neither alcoholic nor virgin). Restaurants now routinely charge you $2.50 for a Coke and $4 for a beer. Don't even get me fucking started on the $14 martini!!! Order water, or nothing at all. Humans weren't meant to drink when we ate. I don't know where this started. $416
Live style choices from 1-9 will save you $8,164. But if you drink and smoke, then you could save at least an extra $2,416 on top of that. These figures are very conservative and they're demonstrated to show you how much money you waste on a yearly basis based upon the mundane stupid crap you buy without even thinking about it.